Sunday, August 29, 2010

prep work

Surprisingly, packing was pretty much done at the beginning of this week.  Usually I wait until the last minute, but I wanted to make sure I made the 80 lb limit and rearrange accordingly.  You might not believe it, but I'm more than 10 lbs under!  (A small difference from unloading 6 lbs pre-check in for Italy which meant giving my dad all toiletries and putting jeans, books, and sweaters in my backpack.)  I guess it's pretty easy when you know it's always hot and/or rainy, shorts are not typical attire, and jeans are considered dressy so tank tops, light-weight pants, and long skirts were the way to go.  Goodbye dresses and jackets!

I've been testing out all my new "equipment".  First of all, Chaco's are AMAZING.  They're not the most attractive shoe which I was reminded of often in Disney World, but they helped me through the flood in MGM and are super comfy.  My backpack is also pretty awesome with lots of secret compartments, a rain coat- yes, for the backpack, and about 50 clips for all sorts of fun things.  Not so fun was when I cut open the packaging on my Swiss Army Knife today.  You know, I was pretty excited to see all of its uses- scissors, cork screw, tweezers, nail file, you name it.  I pulled the first piece out which was the blade but when I pulled the next piece, which was the bottle opener, I got a nice big cut on my index finger.  A few BandAids did the trick and at least I know the blade is sharp enough.  I've yet to figure out how to get the batteries in my headlamp... yes, a headlamp.

Well... I wrote the first two paragraphs a few days ago and today was my going away party so the whole "I'm 10 pounds under" goes right down the drain.  I'll definitely be taking out some unnecessary clothes to fit in much appreciated books, journals, flashlights, photos, and juicy art supplies - Augustines, you rock.  I think the emergency blanket and underwater pen will be a nice addition to my carry-on, Jeanine.  I am so so lucky to have such unbelievable family and friends.  I couldn't have asked for a better second to last day home!  "Good luck" and "you're crazy" seemed to go hand in hand along with an occasional "holy shit".  I got an offer from my cousin Bob to live in his backyard for the next year and teach his 5 kids English, ages 1 through 8... I'd live in a tent of course to keep the experience.  My uncle asked me why I wasn't doing Peace Corps in Paris or Vienna.  My friend told me he'd be living a few doors down from me in Nicaragua but with the Fun Corps.  I discovered O'Hara is actually a poet and my year's salary is my sister's one month rent check.

But in all seriousness, a huge GRACIAS to everyone who bid me farewell.  I wouldn't have been as psyched for this experience without your support and encouragement.

Enough of this blogging from NJ... next post will be from Nica and is sure to be more exciting!

1 comment:

  1. Meg! GOOD LUCK! We were very disappointed to miss the going away party, but are VERY excited to follow you on your blog. This journey will be amazing...yes, I think you are a little nuts, but I'm bursting with admiration and pride. You are taking your commitment to service to a whole new level...something we should all do. Those folks you'll be working are very lucky to have you. We can't wait to hear about all your adventures and amazing experiences...know we're sending lots and lots of love and prayers to you through this journey. Be safe, have fun, make a difference...we love you!!!! Laura, John, Mags & Lex xoxox

    ReplyDelete