Sunday, September 4, 2011

the second list

Below is a list of a handful (or 2) of the things I have learned since living in Nicaragua for 1 year.

1.     Converse sneakers are not meant for unpaved roads, particularly paths where it’s difficult to distinguish mud and cow poop.
2.     Mosquito nets are invaluable.
3.     How to take a bucket bath and actually feel clean afterwards
4.     Spanish!
5.     There are countless crafts you can make using “trash”.
6.     Spiders really aren’t that scary, but snakes are.
7.     How to ride a horse
8.     Knowing when it’s going to rain and, therefore, not a good time to do laundry.  Oh, and hand-washing laundry.
9.     The importance of asking at least 2 people if the bus I am about to take is going to my destination
10. How to grow a garden J
11. Why people walk with an umbrella in NYC when it’s not raining
12. Nicaraguans are so incredibly welcoming.
13. Rocking chairs are essential to relaxing (although a comfortable couch would be nice once in a while)
14. 2:00 means 3:00
15. Money definitely does not buy happiness.

The list after 2 years of living here hopefully will begin with “learning how to dance”.

7 comments:

  1. This is dad because I can't remember my gmail account password--VERY SAD aren't I?
    Your post left me laughing, speechless and SO FULL OF ADMIRATION!!
    You are SO WONDERFUL I can't begin to tell you how I feel.
    I can't wait to see you at Christmas!!
    I love you

    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too funny. I am laughing along with Dad. I can't wait to hear all about the horseback ride! I am sure when you return to the states you will be giving dance lessons along with Spanish lessons!
    Love and miss you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahah dad. of course you can't remember your gmail password.

    the horse got something in its eye on the 40 min ride back so i had to dismount about 15 min in so my friend had to get it out cause it was getting agitated. just my luck, right? but in the end, a success!

    love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg!
    I loved reading this...miss you...I was laughing out loud about the mosquito net/bubble boy reference you had on facebook every day.
    I see your Mom each morning which is a nice way to start the day :) She gives me some updates...can't wait til I get to see you again at Christmas time! Love you, Kath

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can ride a horse now???! I mean..okay, you also speak Spanish, hand wash your clothes, turn trash into treasures, yada yada yada...but a horse??! For reals??! That is nuts and awesome! What an experience! Sorry I haven't been commenting...I'm back baby! We miss you - Maggie was just talking you about the other day - we drove past the Cranford pool and she was reminiscing about dinner at your parents' house with you all...here's a hug! xoox
    Laura and company :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meg! Somehow I missed this post. If learning how to dance tops your next list I will be prouder than any of your other accomplishments. Just kidding (kind of). There is no way Mom would
    EVER be able to accomplish number 14. You are so impressive it is unbelievable. It will
    be Christmas time before we know it. Love you!!!!!! Al

    ReplyDelete
  7. MEGHAN!

    I love this list, especially #7 and #15. Can't wait to go horseback riding when you return! (did you actually use the word dismount before?!)

    Love the pics, too. Just wanted to say hi. Can't wait to see you around the holidays! Miss you always- XO

    KB

    ReplyDelete