Friday, September 10, 2010

como se dice...

everything!!  I've arrived in Santa Teresa and absolutely love my host family!  My host-mom works at the Health Center in town and my host-dad works in Managua so is only home on the weekends.  I have two sisters, 18 and 11, and both are extremely nice and very patient with me.  I've been super busy with Spanish class this week but it's good because there isn't much to do here... a lot of sitting outside and saying Adios! to everyone who walks by.  My host-mom's favorite show is Law and Order, though, so Sarah, if you want to come hang, you're more than welcome.  It's in English and subtitled in Spanish so I've been reading everything and picking up on some phrases here and there.  And we have running water and electricity  WAHOO!!  It will be a pretty big adjustment when I move to el campo and won't have either of those on a daily basis.  

Okay, so my group doesn't exactly know Spanish yet but we are getting there (we hope)!  This past week we've had 8 hours of Spanish class every day-- usually 5 hours in the "classroom" which is one of the aspirantes' houses, then we go out into the community and practice our newly acquired skills.  My three other groups members are fabulous and we're all really enthusiastic to learn and to eventually be able to give "charlas" (talks/lessons) in Spanish.  Today we didn't have class because we went to Managua to have technical training and to learn about our four projects during pre-service training-

One is creating a survey pertaining to one of the major problems in Santa Teresa.  We need to interview at least 20 community members to gain inside on how they feel about a major problem we see in the community.  We are thinking about surveying them on water conservation, green space, or trash.  There is SO much garbage in the street, along with a ton of dog/horse/cow poop.  Don't worry, I'm always watching my step.

The second project is to form a youth group, around ages 16-22.  With the group, we need to make some sort of recycled material project (any suggestions??!!), give 2 charlas on life skills we think are appropriate to the group, and basically just get to know the teenagers and have fun!  At the end of the 3 months, we're going to present our project to the rest of the Environmental aspirantes.

Third, is teaching in an elementary school for grades 4-6.  During weeks 6-8, I will have to teach 3 lessons (in Spanish, duh, but-- ahhh!) on natural science.  I'll be collaborating with the classroom teacher to know the topics I'll be doing lessons on and I'm really looking forward to it!  It'll be nice getting back into the classroom :)

Finally, with my group, we're going to build a garden at the elementary school we'll be teaching at.  I have zero experience doing anything related to gardening but I'm going to be a pro soon.  I just know it.   Tomorrow we need to be in Jinotepe at 7:15 to learn how to start a garden!  Also on a side note, I'm pretty sure I'm the only non-outdoorsy person here.  Not totally shocking but everyone talks about their camping/rock climbing/travel experiences and I can proudly say I've been camping once with the Berkowitz's (thanks Jill and Glo!) and we had lovely running water.  I'm going to learn how to rough it.

It's been a jam packed week and I've never felt so many ups and downs in one day.  I've definitely questioned my decision once or twice but there are so many more positives than negatives so I know it's going to be fantastic.  Already I feel like my perspective has been changed on a lot of things.  For example, I probably would never look at a house made of aluminum in the US and say, wow, that's pretty nice.  Or, I'd never get up at 5:30 in the morning to run because I ate a ton of fried food the day before.  Or, I'd never think 20 cordobas was expensive because it's really $1.  

I have to get up early tomorrow to build that garden!  Hopefully the fire ants don't get to me and I am capable of using a Swiss Army Knife.  We'll see...

ps.  thanks for the comments!!  



12 comments:

  1. So happy to hear you get to go back to fourth grade for a bit...what lucky kids! Keep up the great work Meghan! You're missed and loved. :) The McCoids

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meg! I love the updates. I can't wait to hear more about the family you are staying with and your fellow peace corps volunteers. Mom said you only have gotten 5 mosquito bites so far--not bad considering I got 10 the night of your going away party! Miss you so much- keep up the good work down there. xoxo Alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. This all sounds so amazing Meg. Take/paint lots of pictures!!! So excited to read your posts to come, maybe some will be in Spanish?? PRACTICA MUCHO!!! Miss you so much and can't wait to plan a trip for Cranford to come and visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great update! LOVE it!! Sounds like you are going to have some amazing projects to work on...what are you planting in the garden? Also, I will brainstorm recycled ideas...but can you tell me more about it? Missing you...glad you are safe...you are doing GREAT work. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meg!! I'm so proud of you and I'm happy your enjoying your experience so far! I hope you continue to enjoy the experience and that I get to come visit you in the foreseeable future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meghan

    This is dad. I didn't know how to sign in so I signed in as "anonymous"--Great., huh!!!This is my first comment!!! REALLY looking forward to hearing about more adventures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meg! I love all these posts...and the way you write I can actually hear your voice, it's great. All your projects sound really interesting and challenging in the good way...you're going to learn so much! I'm wondering if you'll even wanna speak English when you come back...? Love ya girl, thinking of you xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all sooo much for the encouragement!! I love keeping you posted and will try to get as much info in as possible! Kath, I'm glad you can hear me talking haha. Dad, I'm proud you are getting more tech savvy. seriously, as soon as i find out where I'll be living, I will let you know and would love love love visitors!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Meghan, so good to hear you are doing great .......just to let you know, Angela and I are taking good care of your Mom, we walk together almost every morning now and she gives us

    updates...she is so proud of you (and we are too of course)....did Glo really go camping?? Stay safe Honey and keep sending more info! Love, Mrs. Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  10. hola guapa! it's ash

    like everyone else, im loving the posts...im so jealous that you get so many spanish classes, im sure it's difficult, but spanish opens up so many doors, especially in Nica ;)

    hmm, recycling options...how big is the project supposed to be? are there a lot of tires there? you could try and collect them and turn them into a playground.

    Another, totally different option is to create a huge (for lack of a better word) garage sale... where people and leave anything and everything for you. then you guys can oraganize it, dispose of materials properly that have to be thrown out, and resell the rest at low prices to reduce garbage waste... it sounds silly, and im not sure how many goods the village will be able to offer, but my school did something like this every year and it was a huge success. Proceeds went directly to environmental organizations.

    even if you dont like the ideas, i hope it helps you think of others.

    si quieres practicar espanol conmigo, digame!

    hasta pronto!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Meg! Loving your blog! I thought I was one up on dad making fun of him writing as "Anonymous", but I must admit I posted--or at least thought I did--a comment last night, but do not see it here... so the laugh is on me! Sounds like you are getting more and more comfortable and having some fun now. Projects sound great! I see you have your hands full making posters without a laminating machine, eh? Have you learned the merengue yet? I am anxious to hear when you can have visitors. Looking forward to reading more about life in Nica. I love and miss you.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  12. MEGGGGG...

    This blog is amazing, I love it!!! I also am in love the fact that your host mom's favorite show is Law & Order.

    It sounds like you are doing some really amazing things. I wouldn't expect anything less of you! We need to speak soon, skype?

    Miss you lots, stay safe!!!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete