Thursday, September 16, 2010

how many gringas does it take to hang a poster?

This past Saturday, we had our first hands-on tech training and I built a huerto (vegetable garden) with my group.  We tore up the ground, made seed beds, built a trellis for cucumber plants, and presented it to the rest of the group.  This will definitely be the most difficult part of the next two years because I have ZERO experience gardening except for planting the 10 plants I bought from the PTA at Orange Ave.  Thanks, Mom.  Now we need to start clearing ground at the elementary school where we are going to build a 5 x 5 m. garden with our fifth and sixth graders.  We're going to be planting tomato, cucumber, pepper, squash, and pipian seeds so if you have any advice, we are all ears!

On Sunday, we made invitations for our youth group and hung the signs at the internet cafe (Cyber), the libreria and at the Instituto which is the secondary school.  As the title of this post suggests, it took 4 of us to do this difficult task and even after the hard work, we only had 6 people come to the meeting on Wednesday.  It was kind of discouraging but are hoping for more on Sunday.  We did come up with some really good ideas for our recycled materials project... signs out of bottle caps promoting environmental awareness, mosaics out of glass, pinatas out of newpaper and chip bags, pencil holders out of soda bottles.  We really want to ask the mayor for money to buy materials to have garbage cans made but know we will not get nearly enough money and it will be really difficult to raise enough money in only 3 months.  Also, garbage cans are NEVER used here as my host-mom pointed out numerous times and from what I've seen on the street.  Someone could be standing right next to one and still throw their trash on the ground which we've come to realize is just cultural.  As much as we'd like to promote the importance of throwing trash in the garbage can, it's not something we can take on with such little time.  There is plenty more to do and the youth are enthusiastic.

Tuesday, September 14 was the celebration of Nicaraguan Independence Day so that meant no Spanish class!  It was a nice break but a huge part of me wishes we did have it because lord knows I need to improve.  Anyway, it was a really fun day.  There was a huge parade in Santa Teresa for all the students from the elementary public and private schools and the secondary school to march.  I basically walked in the parade with my 18 year old sister because her younger sister was in the parade so we needed to make sure she stayed hydrated.  It started at 8:00 AM and ended at about 11:30.  After, the secondary school band played for awhile and should seriously consider being featured in Drumline because they are incredible.  It brought me back to Italy because they played Waka Waka.  At night, I went to a club with my sister, cousin, some of her friends, and the other aspirantes.  It was ridiculously hot and the DJ was terrible but it was a good time because the entire community goes out and has a late night and by late night, I was in bed sleeping by 12.  Mom, you'd love the sleep cycle.



Today we had more tech training in Masaya and talked about lesson planning so today has been a great day!!  It was a huge relief realizing that I'm here to teach and that I feel really comfortable doing it.  Teaching in Spanish is a whole other issue but I'm not thinking about that right now.  It was much more encouraging coming out of today's tech training than Saturday's!

Ohh and I really feel part of my family now (not that I didn't before).  A teacher in town walked into my house with me yesterday while my mom was cooking in the kitchen.  I introduced myself to the teacher and as we walked in, she told my mom that her daughter was home.  My mom still hadn't seen us because she was in another room so she said who?  The teacher responded, your daughter.  Again, who?  Finally, the teacher said, your daughter, the gringa.  "Gringa" put the icing on the cake and I couldn't have felt more special.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Meg-
    Sounds like you are getting progressively more comfortable there! that is a good thing that happens with time. Don't worry about the language, by the end of your three months you will be very good, and with time you will speak like a native, and even have your spanish dreams, which i expect a post on...that is when you truly know you are fluent. It sounds like the scope of work is challenging, but will ultimately be very rewarding. I know your sister misses you more than you know, but she is doing well. We appreciate the updates, keep em coming!
    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megger I love reading your posts as I sit getting ready for class...you are doing so many awesome things! Maybe to promote the use of garbages you could come up with a catchy phrase..'basura in..' ..what rhymes with that? How about 'Bash the Trash' or 'Use a can, man'? Does hombre rhyme with anything in Espanol? You'll obviously have to teach me a thing. I'll work on some more slogans today during my classroom methods course :) Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh, I can't wait for the day I dream in Spanish!! Probably in about a year from now..

    Kath, love your ideas but now they need to be in espanol!! haha miss youu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Meghan

    Anonymous dad again!!! Another FANTASTIC POST!!! What is "gallo pinto" and "carne asasda"? Perhaps I could make it for mom one day!!!
    Will also need your help getting a garden to grow if I ever plant a garden!!
    PLEASE be careful with the running of the bulls this weekend--Watch from a distance. Love You--Dad

    ReplyDelete