Monday, November 22, 2010

it's official

This morning we were sworn in as Nica 54 volunteers which means tomorrow I'm off to Teustepe for the next two years.  We sang the anthems of Nicaragua and the USA and the ambassador made a really wonderful speech.  Our host families came to the ceremony in Managua which was great but definitely caused a few tears officially saying goodbye.  My training town is planning on coming back to Santa Teresa to ring in 2011 so it was really only a "see ya soon".




To be honest, I'm a little nervous about moving to my site because until the beginning of February, I won't really have a set schedule of things to do because that's when school starts.  In December and January, I'll have to start a garden and tree nursery and form a youth group... I'll have work, but informally.  I've been so used to having jam-packed days in the last 3 months so the next 2 will be a huge change of pace.  I'm sure I'll get a lot of reading in and in the beginning of January, I'll move into my own house and want to paint fun murals on the walls.

Tonight we are going to the director of Peace Corps Nicaragua's house for an early Thanksgiving dinner... yum.  Thursday I'll be in site (so not celebrating Thanksgiving) but my host nephew is turning 1 so there will be some sort of Nica party.  Piñatas are a sure thing.  I gotta say, though, mom's stuffing and mashed will be sorely missed, as well as Aunt Joan's ice box cake and most importantly, the football game.  We already have a Skype date set up so I'll probably be shown all the delicious food through the computer screen and will realize that gallo pinto (although delish) has nothing on homemade Thanksgiving dinner.

I really can't tell you how much I appreciate all the support and constant words of encouragement you give through my blog, facebook, phone, letters, e-mail, you name it.  Love and miss all you dedicated readers!

7 comments:

  1. Hey Meg! The kids received your letter (about 2 weeks ago) and they were ECSTATIC to hear from you!! So happy you are doing so well - it seems awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meghan!!!
    CONGRATULATIONS on being inducted into Peace Corps!!! Hope you have a GREAT THANKSGIVING dinner in Managua. Glad your Santa Theresa family was there to celebrate with you. I'm sure you will find things to do in December & January. You can get the softballs and basketballs going--they're on the way---and before you know it you will be teaching.
    Can't wait to Skype with you on Thanksgiving!!!
    Love You
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meghan!
    Congratulations on your induction into the Peace Corps!!! We're so proud of you and all your accomplishments there! It sure sounds like the perfect fit for you. I've loved reading all your blog updates as you've made the reader really feel like they're traveling with you. Keep up the great work. I'm looking forward to reading more when you find the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on being officially "inducted"...but it appears that you are already fully inducted by all that you have accomplished already! I have the feeling you will not have any trouble at all finding ways to fill those months before school starts. Once you do the mural on the walls in your house...you will likely be painting murals all over your village!

    Love, Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Meg,
    Love reading about your adventures, dining in interesting circles.Where will you be celebrating Christmas? Does the school year end in November? Do the students continue their education nearby or do they have to travel and board? Cute little black dress even in the jungle. How do you young kids stay so fashionable? Next time, I go to Zumba dance class I'll think of YOU.
    Your photographs are lovely, your magical smile shines through each time.
    xxxxxxxxxxxDiana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Meghan!!
    Another FABULOUS post!!!The bus rides must be a BLAST there!! I didn't tell mom but I am going to buy her a parrot for our anniversary. I thought it would give her a feel for your Nica experience. I will put my earplugs in when it starts screeching in the mornings!!
    REALLY great talking to you tonight. Grandma, Bob and Anne really enjoyed it as well!!
    Love You
    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Meg
    It is so great reading your blogs! You really sound so happy and excited to be where you are meant to be during this time in your life!
    You look terrific in the pictures you posted.
    All the best for the New Year!!!!
    Can't wait to read about what happens next.
    Love
    Mrs Augustine

    ReplyDelete